Early Language Development: At a Glance
Red Flags for Speech &Language Disorders & Delays
- Limited words to express more than immediate needs; limited vocabulary
- Does not show interest in communicating with others
- Does not follow simple two step directions involving familiar objects by 36 months (ie. Get the ball and put it on the table)
- Does not put two words together by 26 months or consistently use at least 2 word combinations by 30 months.
- Does not look at high interest books for at least a few minutes at a time
- Does not point to pictures of familiar objects in a book as you name them
- Is not understood by adults and peers at least 1/2 the time (50%)
- Does not name at least 3 body parts or use pretend play by 30 months
- Uses imitated words more then spontaneous words by 26 months
- Consistently echoes your questions vs. answering them by 30 months
- Is not understood by anyone in the family by 30 months
- Has difficulty singing fragments of nursery rhymes by 32 months
- Does not ask simple questions by 36 months
- Does not articulate initial consonants of words by 36 months (ex. says “all” instead of “ball”
- Persistent drooling or very unclear speech by 32 months
- Does not name most common household objects by 36 months
Questions to ask Private Insurance
- My child is ____old. Does our policy cover out-of-network speech therapy services?
- What conditions will insurance specifically cover?
- What ICD-10 (diagnosis) codes and CPT (treatment) codes are covered for reimbursement?
- Do I need to obtain a prescription for therapy services?
- Do I need to obtain pre-certification for therapy services?
- Do I need a formal evaluation for services for therapy services?
- How many sessions will insurance cover per year?
- Is there a time limit for services?
- Do I have a deductible or co-pay?
- Do I need to schedule all visits by a certain date?
- How do I get reimbursed for out-of-pocket therapy expenses? What documentation is required for coverage? (i.e. invoice, session notes, progress reports, etc.)